Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall



Marker ID: SCHM 8-41
Location: Dogwood Park, 460 Liberty Hall Rd., Goose Creek, SC
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 32° 59.928    W 080° 0.856
  32.9988    -80.01426666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

HOWE HALL PLANTATION

Howe Hall Plantation, an inland rice plantation, was established here by Robert Howe, who came to S.C. in 1683. His first house here was later described as “tolerable.” Howe´s son Job (d. 1706) built a brick plantation house here once described as “commodious” but spent most of his time in Charleston. Howe served in the Commons House of Assembly 1696-1706 and was Speaker 1700-05. He died of yellow fever in 1706.

HOWE HALL


Howe Hall Plantation was later purchased by several planters, including Thomas Middleton in 1719 and Benjamin Smith in 1769. By the late antebellum period James Vidal owned it and other nearby plantations. During Reconstruction Vidal sold parcels to African American societies and to individual freedmen. This area became an African American farming community for many years. Dogwood Park was created here by the Goose Creek Recreation Commission in 1990.

Erected by the Goose Creek Recreation Commission, 2007