Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall Elementary School



Marker ID: SCHM 8-42
Location: Howe Hall AIMS Elementary School, 115 Howe Hall Rd., Goose Creek, SC
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 32° 58.774    W 080° 1.686
  32.97956666    -80.0281
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

HOWE HALL PLANTATION


Howe Hall Plantation was established here by Robert Howe about 1683 and passed to his son Job Howe (d. 1706), Speaker of the Commons House of Assembly 1700-05. Later owned by such prominent lowcountry families as the Middletons and Smiths, it was owned by James Vidal before the Civil War. During Reconstruction Vidal sold parcels to African American societies and individual freedmen for small farms.

HOWE HALL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL


(Reverse) Howe Hall became an African American community made up of small family farms in the 1870s. It was nicknamed “Hog Hall” by locals who belittled the area´s lower status when compared to the old plantation. Howe Hall Elementary School, serving grades 1-8, consolidated several local black schools and was built here in 1954. Integrated in 1967, it has been Howe Hall AIMS (Arts Infused Magnet School) Elementary since 2002.

Erected by the City of Goose Creek, 2007