Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Varner Town / Indian Community



Marker ID: SCHM 8-43
Location: S. Live Oak Dr. (U.S. Hwy. 17-A), 1.4 mi. N of its intersection with St. James Ave. near Carnes Crossroads, Moncks Corner, SC
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 33° 4.267    W 080° 5.218
  33.07111666    -80.08696666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

VARNER TOWN


Varner Town (or Varnertown) is a distinct Native American community including descendants of the Etiwan, Catawba, Cherokee, Edisto, and other area tribes. This community, located near Carnes Crossroads and Goose Creek, was named for William Varner (d. 1927) and his wife Mary Williams Varner (d. 1924).

INDIAN COMMUNITY


Several Indian schools served this community. The Varner School, also called the Varner Indian School, was built here in 1939 and closed in 1963. The church nearby has been the center of the community for many years. Nearby Williams Cemetery was named in memory of William W. Williams, an Indian ancestor.

Erected by the Berkeley County Historical Society, 2007