Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Liberty Hall Plantation



Marker ID: SCHM 8-44
Location: 101 Woodward Rd., Goose Creek, SC
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 32° 59.988    W 080° 0.636
  32.9998    -80.0106
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This inland rice plantation has its origins in a 1683 grant. In 1726 Nathaniel Moore and his wife sold a 900-acre parcel to Isaac Mazyck (d. 1736). Mazyck´s son Benjamin (d. 1800), a rice planter, cattleman, and merchant, consolidated several nearby plantations and lived here until his death, when his son Stephen (1787-1832) inherited the plantation. Stephen´s widow Mary sold it to Dr. Charles L. Desel in 1834.

(Reverse) Dr. Charles Lewis Desel (1795-1855), a planter and physician, owned this plantation for more than twenty years. His friend Rev. John Bachman (1790-1874), a Lutheran minister and naturalist, brought artist and naturalist John James Audubon (1785-1851) here several times to hunt and observe birds and wildlife. Liberty Hall declined after the Civil War, and was leased as a hunting preserve from 1912 to 1943.

Erected by the City of Goose Creek, 2007