Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Boochawee Hall



Marker ID: SCHM 8-45
Location: Lake Greenview Park, E. Pandora Dr. between Wells Rd. & Paslay Dr., Goose Creek, SC
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 32° 59.759    W 080° 1.713
  32.99598333    -80.02855
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Boochawee Hall, created in 1683 by a 2,400-acre grant, was owned by two colonial governors, father and son. James Moore (d. 1706), a trader and planter, served on the Grand Council and later led “the Goose Creek Men,” an anti-proprietary faction. Appointed governor in 1700, Moore commanded an expedition to Florida, burning St. Augustine in 1702. Moore, replaced as governor by Sir Nathaniel Johnson in 1703, returned to the council and held a seat there until his death.

(Reverse)
James Moore Jr. (d. 1724) served three terms in the Commons House of Assembly and as an officer in the Tuscarora War (1711-13) before commanding the provincial forces in the Yemassee War (1715). Moore was appointed governor when the proprietary government was overthrown in 1719. He was essentially a caretaker until he was succeeded by provisional royal governor Francis Nicholson in 1721. Moore was Speaker of the House in the first Royal Assembly at his death.

Erected by the City of Goose Creek, 2007