Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St. James, Goose Creek Chapel of Ease / Bethlehem Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 8-48
Location: Intersection of Old U.S. Hwy. 52 (S.C. Sec. Rd. 8-791) & Avanti Ln., N of Goose Creek, SC
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 33° 4.161    W 080° 1.392
  33.06935    -80.0232
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

ST. JAMES, GOOSE CREEK CHAPEL OF EASE


One of two chapels of ease for St. James, Goose Creek Parish stood here on the road to Moncks Corner, about 7 miles from the 1719 parish church. The chapel of ease was a brick building with a cruciform plan. It was completed by 1725, during the tenure of the Rev. Richard Ludlam, but was already in ruins by 1820.

BETHLEHEM BAPTIST CHURCH


Bethlehem Baptist Church, founded in 1812, built a frame church on this site. Described as “a neat wooden church adjoining the ruin” just before the Civil War, it was moved 4.5 miles NW in 1880. The church was renamed Groomsville Baptist Church for the Groom family, which donated the land. Cemeteries laid out here by the Anglicans and Baptists are contiguous and intermingled.

Erected by Berkeley County, 2007, replacing Marker 8-5, erected ca. 1940