Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Thorogood Plantation / Mount Holly Plantation



Marker ID: SCHM 8-49
Location: at the entrance to Mount Holly Aluminum, 3575 St. James Ave. (U.S. Hwy. 52), Goose Creek, SC
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 33° 2.325    W 080° 2.098
  33.03875    -80.03496666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

THOROGOOD PLANTATION


In 1682 the Lords Proprietors granted 3,000 acres here, on a branch of the Back River, to Joseph Thorogood (d. 1684). Though Thorogood only owned the plantation two years and his widow Jane sold it after his death, it was called “Thorogood” for most of the 19th century. By the 1720s Andrew Allen owned Thorogood, established a profitable rice plantation here, and was also engaged in the local fur trade.

MOUNT HOLLY PLANTATION


Thorogood passed to John Deas (d. 1788) and his son John, Jr. (1761-1790). It, Mount Holly, and Cyprus plantations remained in the Deas family until 1824. Subdivided after the Civil War, this area was the core of an African American farming community. H. Smith Richardson bought it as a hunting plantation in 1937, renaming it Mount Holly. Mt. Holly Aluminum has produced aluminum as its plant here since 1980.

Erected by Mt. Holly Aluminum, 2007