Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek



Marker ID: SCHM 8-50
Location: 125 St. James Ave., Goose Creek, SC
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 32° 59.954    W 080° 2.44
  32.99923333    -80.04066666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

GOOSE CREEK


This area has been called Goose Creek since the late 17th century. For almost 200 years after the Lords Proprietors granted large tracts to English, French Huguenot, and other planters, their plantations dominated the landscape. After the Civil War most plantations were subdivided into small farms, many of them owned by freedmen and their descendants. Rural farming communities grew up around area crossroads from the late 19th century to the mid-20th century.


World War II and the Cold War brought dramatic growth to this area with the U.S. Ammunition Depot and Naval Weapons Annex in 1941 and 1959, respectively. The population grew so quickly that local leaders hoping to manage the influx chartered and incorporated the City of Goose Creek in 1961, with Hilton W. Bunch as its first mayor. In 1966 a building here, originally a laundry, was converted for use as the third Goose Creek City Hall, serving the town from 1974 to 1999.

Erected by Advance Auto Parts, Inc., 2007