Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St. Stephen Colored School / St. Stephen High School



Marker ID: SCHM 8-51
Location: Russellville Rd./Old Mill Rd., St. Stephen, SC
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 33° 24    W 079° 55.605
  33.4    -79.92675
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

ST. STEPHEN COLORED SCHOOL


St. Stephen Colored School, the first public African American school in St. Stephen, was built here in 1924-25. A three-room frame building, it was one of almost 500 schools in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation 1917-1932. It opened with grades 1-7, but burned in 1935. A brick elementary and high school with grades 1-10 replaced it. Grades 11 and 12 were added in 1936-37 and 1948-49.

ST. STEPHEN HIGH SCHOOL


A nine-room brick high school was constructed here in 1944-45, with Woodrow Z. Wilson as its last principal. It closed in 1954, and its students transferred to the new Russellville High School. The elementary school, with grades 1-7, was replaced by a new St. Stephen Elementary in 1966. The buildings here were torn down in 1965, and their bricks and lumber donated to Allen A.M.E. Church.

Erected by the Alumni and Friends of St. Stephen Colored Elementary and High School, 2008