Historic Markers Across South Carolina



The Village of Pineville



Marker ID: SCHM 8-52
Location: on Matilda Circle (SC-8-204)
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 33° 25.633    W 080° 01.769
  33.427217    -80.029483
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Pineville, established in 1793-94, was one of the first planters´ retreats in the South. James Sinkler built the first summer house here in 1793. Pineville, named for its "religiously preserved" pines and known for its "sweet and balmy air," became a village in 1794 after John Cordes, Peter Gaillard, John Palmer and Peter, Philip, and Samuel Porcher built houses here as well.