Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Mount Holly Station / Mount Holly



Marker ID: SCHM 8-53
Location: Old Mt. Holly Rd., just S of its intersection with U.S. Hwy. 52, Mount Holly, SC
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 33° 1.743    W 080° 2.1
  33.02905    -80.035
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

MOUNT HOLLY STATION


Mount Holly Station, a depot on the Northeastern Railroad between Florence and Charleston, was built here about 1853. It was named for nearby Mount Holly Plantation, carved out of Thorogood Plantation shortly before the American Revolution by John Deas, Jr. (1761-1790), a planter and state representative. The railroad tracks crossed the main oak avenue to the plantation, just south of the station and platform.

MOUNT HOLLY


Otranto (or Porcher) was the next station toward Charleston, 19 mi. SSE. After the Civil War this vicinity, which kept the name Mount Holly, was a predominantly white rural community, in contrast to black rural communities nearby at Casey, Howe Hall, and Liberty Hall. Rice plantations were replaced by subsistence farms worked by families, tenants, or sharecroppers. Mount Holly was incorporated into the City of Goose Creek when it was created in 1961.

Erected by the Goose Creek Tea Ladies, 2009