Historic Markers Across South Carolina



The Oaks



Marker ID: SCHM 8-54
Location: The Oaks Plantation Golf & Country Club, 130 The Oaks Ave., Goose Creek, SC
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 32° 59.031    W 080° 2.13
  32.98385    -80.0355
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
The Oaks, an inland rice plantation, was established here by Edward Middleton (d. 1685) on a 1678 grant from the Lords Proprietors. Middleton, a planter who came to S.C. from Barbados, received 1,630 acres on Yeaman´s Creek, later renamed Goose Creek. Middleton served in several colonial offices, including as a member of the Grand Council. The Oaks passed to Middleton´s son Arthur (1681-1737), also on the Council, later President of the first Royal Council.

(Reverse)
Arthur Middleton´s son Henry (1717-1784) served in the Continental Congress 1774-75 and was briefly its President. He later served in the Provincial Congress and first General Assembly of S.C. The original house here burned in 1840, long after the Middletons sold the property. The present house was built 1892 for Maine businessman Edwin Parsons, and renovated in 1930 by New York banker Charles Sabin. It has been The Oaks Plantation Golf & Country Club since 1964.

Erected by the Rotary Club of Goose Creek, 2008