Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Spring Grove Plantation



Marker ID: SCHM 8-60
Location: Cypress Gardens Rd. at the Spring Grove Plantation Clubhouse, Moncks Corner, SC
County: Berkeley
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Spring Grove, an inland rice plantation on the Back River, was part of a 1706 grant by the Lords Proprietors to John Barnwell. By 1727 the tract passed to planter and state representative Joseph Wragg (d. 1751) as part of his Dockton plantation. Spring Grove was not a separate plantation until 1793, when it included 1,406 acres, owned by planter and state representative George Keckley (d. 1829).

(Reverse)
Spring Grove remained in the Keckley family until 1843, when it was purchased by William Bell, who owned Cypress Grove and Pine Grove plantations nearby. Bell´s son sold it soon after the Civil War. Spring Grove was later owned by the E.P. Burton Lumber Co., then the Cooper River Mining & Manufacture Co., and later the Pine Grove Hunting Club. It was subdivided for development as Pendley Homes in 2003.

Erected by Pendley Homes, 2008