Historic Markers Across South Carolina

Berkeley Training High School

Marker ID: SCHM 8-66
Location: 320 N. Live Oak Dr., Moncks Corner, SC
County: Berkeley
Coordinates: N 33° 12.05    W 079° 59.693
  33.20083333    -79.99488333
Style: Free Standing **


Berkeley Training High School, located here from 1955 to 1970, replaced a four-room wood school 1 mi. S at Main St. and Old U.S. Hwy. 52. That school, built in 1918-1920 at a cost of $6,700, had been partially funded by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation. The new brick school, built here in 1955 at a cost of almost $400,000, opened with an enrollment of more than 500 students in grades 8-12.

Joseph H. Jefferson, Sr. (1919-1983) was the only principal of Berkeley Training High School at this location, from 1955 to 1970. By the 1964-65 school year this school reached its peak of 723 students in grades 8-12. Its enrollment was reduced to grades 9-12 in 1965-66 and then to grades 10-12 in 1968-69. Berkeley Training High School closed in 1970 after the desegregation of Berkeley County schools.

Erected by the Berkeley Training High School Alumni Association, 2010