Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Barnet's Tavern



Marker ID: SCHM 
Location: S.C. Hwy. 8, Cross, SC
County: Berkeley
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Near this spot stood Barnet´s Tavern, called the Forty-Five Mile House, indicating its distance from Charleston. Here was the muster ground of the Eutaw State Volunteers, a company raised in 1833, to support the Ordinance of Nullification. From this tavern, on Sept. 11, 1781, Gen. Green sent to the President of Congress, dispatches announcing the Battle of Eutaw Springs.

Erected by the South Carolina Historical Commission, ca. 1929-1936