Historic Markers Across South Carolina



First Land Granted In Calhoun County Area



Marker ID: SCHM 9-1
Location: SC 6, about 4 miles SE of St. Matthews
County: Calhoun
Coordinates: N 33° 38.178    W 080° 42.341
  33.6363    -80.70568333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

George Sterling was granted 570 acres of land here on March 14, 1704. During the lifetime of his daughter, Mary Sterling Heady Russell, the plantation was a stopping place for Indians and travelers on the Cherokee Path. The Rev. John Giessendanner held early religious services in the house (1750-1754).