Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St. Matthew's Parish Episcopal Church



Marker ID: SCHM 9-2
Location: Intersection of us 601 and SC 419
County: Calhoun
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Stands .4 miles NW of this spot. An act creating the parish in 1765 was disallowed by the king. A second act was approved in 1768. The first of four buildings, each on a different site, was erected in 1766. The present edifice was built in 1852. The congregation was incorporated in 1788 as a member of the Protestant Episcopal Church.