Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Jericho Methodist Church Mile And A Half East



Marker ID: SCHM 9-3
Location: US 176, 2.5 miles S of Cameron
County: Calhoun
Coordinates: N 33° 31.872    W 080° 41.231
  33.5312    -80.687183
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Bishop Francis Asbury stopped in this region in 1801 and 1803. About 1811, a congregation was organized and by 1815, Jericho Meeting House was standing on land given by Jacob Felkel. The present building there was apparently erected before 1850. A low partition separating the men and women and a slave gallery were removed in 1890 and a porch was added. Two annexes were built later.