Historic Markers Across South Carolina



4 St. Matthew's Lutheran Church Parent Lutheran Church Of This Area



Marker ID: SCHM 9-4
Location: SC 6. about 7 miles S of St. Matthews
County: Calhoun
Coordinates: N 33° 37.070    W 080° 40.296
  33.61783333    -80.6716
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

In 1737-38, the elder Rev. John U. Giessendanner from Orangeburg began Lutheran work in this area; this was continued by his nephew until 1749. By the 1760s. St. Matthew´s Lutheran Church near here was in use. A later building erected at this site in 1826 was replaced by the present church in 1900.