Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Calhoun County



Marker ID: SCHM 9-5
Location: Courthouse grounds, St. Matthews
County: Calhoun
Coordinates: N 33° 39.792    W 080° 46.712
  33.6632    -80.77853333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

First settled in 1704, this region by 1733 included Amelia and lower Saxe Gotha townships. In 1765, much of it was made part of the new St. Matthew´s Parish and was so named until 1865. Efforts in 1890 and 1896 led to an act signed on Feb. 14, 1903, forming a new county from parts of Orangeburg and Lexington, named for John C. Calhoun.

Erected by the Calhoun County Historical Commission