Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Sandy Run Church



Marker ID: SCHM 9-7
Location: on US 176 a short distance S of junction with US 21
County: Calhoun
Coordinates: N 33° 48.017    W 080° 57.862
  33.80028333    -80.96436666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This Lutheran church, one of the oldest in the state, is thought to have been organized c.1765. By 1774, the Rev. Lewis Hochheimer was minister here. The church was incorporated in 1788 as ´The German Lutheran Church of Salem, on Sandy Run" and located at the present site by 1806. The SC Synod has met here several times.

Erected by The Congregation - 1983


Notes:

Two sided marker - Christian Theus