Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Mount Pleasant Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 9-9
Location: Fort Motte Rd. (S.C. Hwy. 419) near its intersection with Adams Rd. (S.C. Sec. Rd. 9-80), Fort Motte, SC
County: Calhoun
Coordinates: N 33° 41.656    W 080° 39.001
  33.69426666    -80.65001666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
The first church built by African Americans at Fort Motte grew out of services held by slaves at nearby Bellville, Goshen, Lang Syne, and Oakland plantations. It was formally organized in 1867 by Caleb Bartley, Israel Cheeseborough, Cudjo Cunningham, Anderson Keitt, William McCrae, John Spann, and Harry Stuart.

(Reverse)
Rev. S.A. Evans, the first minister, was succeeded by Rev. Henry Duncan, who served until his death in 1905. The sanctuary, built in 1869 on land donated by Augustus T. and Louisa McCord Smythe, was remodeled in the 1970s and the 1990s. Mount Pleasant School educated students here from the 1870s into the 1920s.

Erected by the Congregation and the United Family Reunion, 2002