Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Old Bank Building



Marker ID: SCHM 10-4
Location: NW corner of Church and Broad Streets, Charleston, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 46.600    W 079° 55.765
  32.776667    -79.929417
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Construction having begun in 1797, this building was occupied by the Bank of South Carolina on December 10, 1798, making it one of the oldest bank buildings in the U. S. It served as a bank until 1835. The Charleston Library Society used it 1835-1916. It was owned and occupied for the next fifty years by the Charleston Chamber of Commerce. In 1967 it reverted to its first use and became a bank again.

Erected by The Citizens and Southern National Bank of South Carolina - 1967