Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Lord Cornwallis



Marker ID: SCHM 10-11
Location: 120 Charleston Blvd., Isle of Palms
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 46.614    W 079° 48.482
  32.7769    -79.80803333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Major General Charles Cornwallis established a brigade headquarters not far from this site on or around June 19, 1776. His brigade was part of a British army under the command of Sir Henry Clinton, which had occupied this island as a staging point for attacking the palmetto log fort on Sullivan´s Island. This was Cornwallis´s first major command in America.

(Reverse)
Cornwallis´s troops were prevented from crossing Breach Inlet on June 28, 1776, by the fire of S. C. Rangers on the opposite shore. The British were defeated and sailed for New York. Cornwallis returned in 1780 as second in command of the army that captured Charles Town. Left in command of the South, he finally surrendered at Yorktown on October 19, 1781.

Erected by S. C. Society Sons of the American Revolution - 1972


Notes:

Two sided marker More information:
Wikipedia - Charles Cornwallis, 1st Marquess Cornwallis
Voices of the American Revolution - Lord Charles Cornwall