Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 10-25
Location: 302 Hibben St., Mt. Pleasant, corner of Church & Hibben
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 47.361    079° 52.690
  32.78935    -79.87816666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Erected about 1854 and originally a Congregational Church affiliated with Old Wappetaw Church, founded about 1699. Served as a Confederate hospital during the Civil War, then briefly housed the Laing School for freedmen during Reconstruction. Was accepted into Charleston Presbytery as a mission church and renamed Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church in 1870.

Erected by the congregation - 1996