Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St. James Santee Parish Church



Marker ID: SCHM 10-26
Location: In front of the church, McClellanville
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 33° 10.30    W 079° 27.92
  33.17166666    -79.46533333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Erected in 1768, this edifice, officially known as Wambaw Church, was situated on the King´s Highway. It is the fourth church to serve St. James Santee Parish. The parish, founded in 1706 at the request of French Huguenot settlers, was the second oldest in the colony. The Rev. Samuel Fenner Warren served as parish rector from 1758 until his death in 1789.

(Reverse)
Thomas Lynch, Paul Mazyck, John Drake, Jonah Collins, Jacob Motte, Jr., Daniel Horry, and Elias Horry were appointed commissioners to build the church. The sanctuary combines elements of the Georgian and Classical architectural styles and reflects a late-18th century trend toward a more sophisticated design for parish churches. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1973.

Erected by St. James Santee Historical Society - 1996