Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Old Wappetaw Church



Marker ID: SCHM 10-29
Location: on Ocean Highway (U.S. 17) 0.1 miles north of Fifteen Mile Landing Road (South Carolina Route 10-584), Awendaw, SC .
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 55.655    W 079° 42.861
  32.92758333    -79.71435
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Congregationalists from New England built a church near here around 1700. Troops from both sides camped on the grounds during the American Revolution. Burned by the British in 1782, it was rebuilt in 1786. The building was abandoned during the Civil War and its members organized Presbyterian churches in Mount Pleasant and McClellanville.

Erected 1998 by St. James- Santee Parish Historical Society.