Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Maryville



Marker ID: SCHM 10-33
Location: at the intersection of Saint Andrews Boulevard and 5th Avenue, Charleston, SC.
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 47.706    W 079° 59.58
  32.7951    -79.993
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The town of Maryville, chartered in 1886, included the site of the original English settlement in S.C. and the plantation owned by the Lords Proprietors 1670-99. When the old plantation was subdivided into lots and sold to local blacks in the 1880s, they established a town named for educator and community leader Mary Mathews Just (d.1902). Though Maryville was widely seen as a model of black "self-government," the S.C. General Assembly revoked the town charter in 1936.

Erected 1999 by City of Charleston.