Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St. Paul's, Stono / St. Paul's Churchyard



Marker ID: SCHM 10-36
Location: Church Flats Rd., off S.C. Hwy. 162 just W of Stono Plantation Dr., Meggett, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 44.923    W 080° 10.952
  32.74871666    -80.18253333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

ST. PAUL´S, STONO


St. Paul´s Parish, one of the ten original parishes of colonial S.C., was created by the Church Act of 1706. The first parish church was built in 1708 on a bluff overlooking the Stono River. The parsonage and outbuildings were destroyed during the Yamasee War of 1715. After St. John´s Colleton Parish was created in 1734, a new parish church for St. Paul´s was built 8 mi. NW in 1736.

ST. PAUL´S CHURCHYARD


Foundation ruins and a few graves are all that remain of the first St. Paul´s, Stono. Robert Seabrook (1652-1710), buried here, served as high sheriff of Colleton County in 1698; as a captain of militia in 1706; and as a member of the Commons House of Assembly 1706-09, serving as Speaker in 1706. His wife Sarah (d. 1715) and their son Benjamin (d. 1717) are also buried here.

Erected by the Charles Towne Chapter, Colonial Dames of the XVII Century, 2002