Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Liberty Hill



Marker ID: SCHM 10-41
Location: t the Felix Pinckney Community Center, 4790 Hassell St., North Charleston, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 52.825    W 079° 59.787
  32.88041666    -79.99645
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Liberty Hill, established in 1871, is the oldest community in what is now North Charleston. In 1864 Paul and Harriet Trescot, "free persons of color" living in Charleston, owned 112 acres here. They sold land to Ishmael Grant, Aaron Middleton, and Plenty and William Lecque for a settlement for freedmen. These men donated an acre of the southeast corner to "the African Church," now St. Peter´s African Methodist Episcopal Church.

Erected by the City of North Charleston and the North Charleston Heritage Corridor, 2005