Historic Markers Across South Carolina



The Parsonage



Marker ID: SCHM 10-44
Location: on President Place near President Street, Charleston SC.
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 47.274    W 079° 57.075
  32.7879    -79.95125
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

“The Parsonage,” the home of Rev. James B. Middleton (1839-1918), stood here at 5 Short Court (now President´s Place) until 1916. Middleton and his siblings, born slaves, were taught to read and write by their father, Rev. James C. Middleton (1790-1889). After the Civil War the elder Middleton, his son Rev. Abram Middleton (1827-1901), and Rev. James B. Middleton organized and served as pastors of many Methodist churches in the lowcountry.

Erected 2004 by The Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture.


Notes:

Two sided: Miss Izard's School