Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Lincolnville School / Lincolnville Elementary School



Marker ID: SCHM 10-47
Location: West Broad St., Lincolnville, W of Ladson
County: Charleston
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

LINCOLNVILLE SCHOOL


Lincolnville School, the first public school for black students in this community, stood here from 1924 to 1953. Built at a cost of $6,100, it was one of more than 5000 schools in the South funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation between 1917 and 1932. Four teachers taught grades 1-7 in a frame school with four classrooms and an auditorium, on a four-acre lot on Broad Street.

LINCOLNVILLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL


In 1953 Lincolnville School was covered with brick veneer and expanded to become Lincolnville Elementary School, with four classrooms, a library, and a cafeteria/auditorium. Students attended grades 1-7 there until Charleston County schools were desegregated in 1969.

Erected by the Lincolnville Elementary School Alumni Association, 2008