Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Pollitzer House



Marker ID: SCHM 10-49
Location: On Pitt Street between Wentworth and Baufain Streets, Charleston, SC.
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 46.795    W 079° 56.312
  32.77991666    -79.93853333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front text)
This was the home of sisters Carrie (1881-1974), Mabel (1885-1979), and Anita Pollitzer (1894-1975), longtime activists for women´s rights. Anita, an artist and wife of press agent Elie C. Edson, played a pivotal role in the passage and ratification of the 19th Amendment, which allowed women to vote. She was national secretary, then chair of the National Woman´s Party (the forerunner of the National Organization for Women) from 1921 to 1949.

(Reverse text)
In 1918 Carrie Pollitzer, co-founder and assistant principal of the S.C. Kindergarten Training School, led a successful effort to enroll women in the College of Charleston. Mabel, a science teacher at Memminger High School, organized an early school lunch program there. She also served as chair and publicity director of the state National Woman´s Party and helped found the first free public library in Charleston County, which opened in 1931.

Erected 2006 by The Center For Women.