Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Battery Haig



Marker ID: SCHM 10-51
Location: just off East Shore Ln., Oakland Subdivision, James Island, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This Confederate earthwork, named for the owner on whose plantation it was built, was constructed in 1863. It and other works on the north bank of the Stono River were intended to help defend Charleston´s western approaches along the Charleston & Savannah Railroad. In late 1864 Battery Haig was armed with two 24-pounder rifled cannon. It and the rest of the Confederate defenses of Charleston were abandoned when the city was evacuated February 17, 1865.

Erected by the South Carolina Battleground Preservation Trust, 2006



Notes:

More information:
Wikipedia - Battle of James Island
Wikipedia - Charleston, South Carolina in the American Civil War