Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Point Plantation



Marker ID: SCHM 10-55
Location: on S Pincknet Street (St Rd S-10-9) McClellanville, SC.
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 33° 05.016    W 080° 27.589
  33.0836    -80.45981666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
The McClellan family for which McClellanville was name acquired this land shortly before the American Revolution. A 490-acre tract on Jeremy Creek was originally granted to John Whilden in 1705. In 1771 master carpenter Archibald McClellan, Sr. (1740-1791) bought the tract, built a house and named it Point Plantation. He planted an avenue of Live Oaks that still stand and expanded the plantation to 1350 acres.

(back)
Point Plantation passed to Archibald McClellan, Jr. (1764-1846), then to his sons William and Archibald. Archibald J. McClellan (1814-1880) grew cotton and produced lime and salt here after his brother´s death. By the 1850s he and Richard T. Morrison (1816-1910) leased, then later sold, lots to area planters. The village here was named for the McClellan family by 1860. The old house at Point Plantation burned in 1902 and was replaced by the present house.

Erected by the village Museum, 2007