Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Battery Number 5



Marker ID: SCHM 10-56
Location: Seaside Plantation Dr. between Secessionville Rd. and Planters Trace Dr., James Island, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 42.473    W 079° 57.208
  32.70788333    -79.95346666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This was one of several Confederate earthworks constructed on the southwest portion of James Island in the summer of 1863. It was a significant part of the “New Line” or “Siege Line” intended to defend Charleston from Federal attacks up the Stono or Folly Rivers. This line replaced the 1861-62 lines that ran across James Island from Clark Sound to Wappoo Creek.

(Reverse)
In April 1864 Battery Number 5 was manned by Company H of the 2nd S.C. Artillery, commanded by Capt. W.H. Kennady. Its armament at that time was three 24-pounder smoothbore cannon and one 12-pounder smoothbore cannon. This battery and the rest of Charleston´s defenses were evacuated February 17, 1865. Battery Number 5 was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Erected by the South Carolina Battleground Preservation Trust, 2008



Notes:

More information:
Wikipedia - South Carolina in the American Civil War
Wikipedia - Fort Sumter
Wikipedia - Fort Moultrie
Wikipedia - Charleston, South Carolina in the American Civil War