Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Battery Cheves



Marker ID: SCHM 10-59
Location: on Robert E. Lee Blvd, south of Preston Road, Charleston, SC.
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 44.267    W 079° 54.43
  32.73778333    -79.90716666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front text)
This four-gun Confederate artillery battery was one of several earthworks built on the southeastern shore of James Island in the summer of 1863. Built between Battery Simkins and Battery Haskell, this battery was named for Capt. Langdon Cheves, an engineer who designed Battery Wagner on Morris Island and who was killed during the Federal assault there on July 10, 1863.

(Reverse text)
The battery assisted in the defense of James and Morris Islands, and its armament in 1863 was four 8-inch smoothbore naval guns. A magazine explosion on September 15, 1863 killed five men and wounded two. Battery Cheves and the rest of Charleston´s defenses were evacuated February 17, 1865. The battery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Erected 2008 by The South Carolina Battleground Preservation Trust.


Notes:

More information:
Wikipedia - South Carolina in the American Civil War
Wikipedia - Fort Sumter
Wikipedia - Fort Moultrie
Wikipedia - Charleston, South Carolina in the American Civil War