Historic Markers Across South Carolina

Fort Pemberton

Marker ID: SCHM 10-62
Location: 221 Yates Ave., Riverland Terrace, James Island, SC
County: Charleston
Style: Free Standing **


Fort Pemberton, a large five-sided Confederate earthwork on the James Island side of the Stono River, was built in the spring of 1862 to defend Charleston from a Federal attack via Elliott´s Cut and Wappoo Creek. Named for Maj. Gen. John C. Pemberton, commander of the Dept. of S.C. and Ga., it was designed for as many as twenty-one guns but never held more than eight.

Fort Pemberton was described in 1865 as “a large well-built work, heavily armed.” In June 1864 it was manned by Co. B, 15th Battalion S.C. Heavy Artillery, commanded by Capt. Guignard Richardson. Its armament at that time was two 32-pounder banded rifled guns and two 32-pounder smoothbore cannon. It and the rest of Charleston defenses were evacuated on February 17, 1865.

Erected by the South Carolina Battleground Preservation Trust, 2008