Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Windsor Hill Plantation



Marker ID: SCHM 10-63
Location: 3790 Ashley Phosphate Rd. at Windsor Hill Blvd., North Charleston, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 55.433    W 080° 5.39
  32.92388333    -80.08983333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This inland rice plantation was established in 1701 by a grant of 500 acres to Joseph Child. The original grant was between the headwaters of Goose Creek and the Ashley River, and Child soon acquired an additional 300 acres. His son Benjamin added acreage and continued planting rice. In 1749 Benjamin and Hannah Child´s daughter Mary inherited Windsor Hill and married rice planter John Ainslie (d. 1774).

(Reverse)
John and Mary Ainslie built a two-story house here about 1750. In 1776 their daughter Hannah married William Moultrie, Jr. (1752-1796). The plantation declined by the 1830s, and the house burned in 1857. Gen. William Moultrie (1730-1805), victor at the Battle of Sullivan´s Island in 1776 and governor 1785-1787 and 1792-94, was first buried here but later reburied on Sullivan´s Island, at Fort Moultrie, in 1977.

Erected by the City of North Charleston, 2010