Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Cannon Street Hospital / McClennan-Banks Memorial Hospital



Marker ID: SCHM 10-68
Location: 135 Cannon Street, Charleston, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

CANNON STREET HOSPITAL


Cannon Street Hospital, established here in 1897, served the African-American community of Charleston until 1959. Officially the Hospital and Training School for Nurses, it occupied a three-story brick building constructed ca. 1800. Dr. Alonzo C. McClennan (1855-1912), then one of only six black physicians in Charleston, was one of its founders and also edited The Hospital Herald 1898-1900.


McCLENNAN-BANKS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL


By 1956 Dr. Thomas C. McFall, director of the Cannon Street Hospital, led a campaign to build a new hospital. McClennan-Banks Memorial Hospital, which opened on Courtenay Street in 1959, was named for Dr. McClennan and Anna DeCosta Banks (1869-1930), first head nurse of the Cannon Street Hospital. The old hospital here was torn down in 1961; the new hospital closed at the end of 1976 and was torn down in 2004.

Erected by the Waring Historical Library, Medical University of South Carolina,
and the Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture, College of Charleston, 2010