Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Institute Hall



Marker ID:  10-69
Location: on Meeting Street, Charleston, SC.
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 46.699    W 079° 55.870
  32.77831666    -79.93116666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Institute Hall, built here in 1854, stood until 1861. An Italian aid building, it was designed by Jones in the lead of the South Carolina Institute, a progressive organization promoting “art, ingenuity, mechanical skill, the industry.” The Grand Hall, Charleston´s largest public space, seated 3,000 and hosted fairs, exhibits, concerts, balls, and conventions. It hosted the 1860 Democratic convention, which split over the mention of slavery in the party platform.

Erected by the Ford Sumter - Fort Moultrie Historical Trust
and the S.C. Sesquicentennial Advisory Board 2010


Notes:

Two sied: The Union is Dissolved!