Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Seventeenth Century



Marker ID:  
Location: Charleston Waterfront Park on Concord Street, Charleston, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 46.738    W 079° 55.508
  32.77896666    -79.92513333
Style: Mounted **
 



Text:

Charles Town, named for Charles II, was settled in 1670, a few miles north of this site, on the west bank of the Ashley River It was the capital of the Colony of the Carolinas. In 1671, the Lords Proprietors ordered a fort nearer the sea be laid out on Oyster Point at the juncture of the Ashley and Cooper Rivers, where there was a “bold landing” for ships. Charles Town moved to its present site in 1680 as one of America´s first planned cities. The “Grand Modell” centered on a square with a street along the Cooper River known as “The Bay”. Now East Bay, it lies to the west of this location and is still a principal commercial thoroughfare. The city was centered on the area around the Old Exchange building westward of this park. Exports of lumber, naval stores, salted meats and deer skins were the basis of the city´s first fortunes. Home to a diverse citizenry, early Charles Town took pride in her religious freedom and vigorous maritime trade.

Erected 1990 by City of Charleston, South Carolina.

[Each bronze panel includes a map of the city and harbor for the corresponding century plus a Braille version of the narrative text.