Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Eighteenth Century



Marker ID:  
Location: Charleston Waterfront Park on Concord Street, Charleston, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 46.738    W 079° 55.508
  32.77896666    -79.92513333
Style: Mounted **
 



Text:

Charles Town was a walled city from about 1704 to about 1720. The walls protected the city from hostile attacks by the Spaniards, French, Indians and pirates. In 1719, South Carolina overthrew the Lords

Proprietors and became a Royal Colony. Charles Town grew rich from exports of rice and indigo and became a cultural center with close ties to England. When colonial rights were threatened, she was a leader in forming a new nation. Her fine harbor made her the South´s major port and largest city. It also attracted British invaders. The Royal Navy attacked the forts at the harbor entrance to the east. The attack was repelled, but the city was captured and occupied by British armies coming from the south. Four Charlestonians signed the Declaration of Independence: John Rutledge and Charles Pinckney contributed importantly to the writing of the United States Constitution.

Erected 1990 by City of Charleston, South Carolina.

[Each bronze panel includes a map of the city and harbor for the corresponding century plus a Braille version of the narrative text.