Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Nineteenth Century



Marker ID:  
Location: Charleston Waterfront Park on Concord Street, Charleston, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 46.738    W 079° 55.508
  32.77896666    -79.92513333
Style: Mounted **
 



Text:

Charleston, so spelled after 1745, was quick to recover from the Revolution and military occupation. Rice, Sea Island cotton and trade provided the highest per capita wealth of any American city in 1860. Grand houses, public buildings, and plantations were built. Her advocacy of states´ rights, nullification and secession gave her national importance. The Civil War began in 1861 with the firing on Fort Sumter, three miles southeastward of this point. During four years of struggle, the waterfront was the scene of naval activities involving armored warships, torpedo boats, a submarine and blockade runners. This area was under heavy shellfire from the Barrier Islands. Besieged, bombarded, and impoverished by the War, Charleston lost her economic and political stature. Banks, railroads, phosphate mining and agricultural exports revived trade by the 1880s. A major earthquake in 1886 devastated the city but failed to kill her spirit.

Erected 1990 by City of Charleston, South Carolina.

[Each bronze panel includes a map of the city and harbor for the corresponding century plus a Braille version of the narrative text.