Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Twentieth Century



Marker ID:  
Location: Charleston Waterfront Park on Concord Street, Charleston, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 46.738    W 079° 55.508
  32.77896666    -79.92513333
Style: Mounted **
 



Text:

In the early part of the 20th century, Charleston continued her slow recovery from war, military occupation and social upheaval. In 1900, a naval base was established on the Cooper River, four miles upstream. In 1902, the West Indian Exposition, on the site of Hampton Park on the north side of town drew international attention, and the Cooper River Bridge opened in 1929. Growth of the military presence in both World Wars buttressed the economy. The nations´ preservation movement began in Charleston where the first historic district zoning ordinance was adopted in 1931. The rebuilding of the port wall, begun after 1945, restored the harbor to its former maritime importance. On this spot, stood Mallory Line´s ship terminals, once the city´s busiest, were destroyed by a spectacular fire in 1955. Since the late 1970s, racial harmony, economic revitalization, a cultural renaissance, and attention to urban design have brought Charlestonians a new measure of prosperity and pride in their city. A fierce hurricane, steering straight for this park, as yet incomplete, fell upon the city and harbor in September 1989. It created new challenges, but as the 20th century drew to a close, Charleston was looking to the future with her usual confidence and vision.

Erected 1990 by City of Charleston, South Carolina.

[Each bronze panel includes a map of the city and harbor for the corresponding century plus a Braille version of the narrative text.