Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Milton’s Ferry Tavern



Marker ID:  
Location: on Patriots Point Road, Mt Pleasant, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 47.801    W 079° 53.955
  32.79668333    -79.89925
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

By 1832, Milton´s Ferry offered a ferry service to and from Charleston by way of a canal dug through the marsh. The ferry tavern was a two-sided house with stables and carriage house to service travelers. A bi-weekly stage ran from the tavern to Georgetown. The first ferry operator was William Matthews, locally pronounced “Mathis,” as in Mathis Ferry Road.

Erected in 2002