Historic Markers Across South Carolina



The Old Village



Marker ID:  
Location: on Royall Ave at Ferry Street, Mount Pleasant, SC.
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 47.078    W 079° 52.312
  32.78463333    -79.87186666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

By 1872, several settlements which had developed along Charleston Harbor, were incorporated as the Town of Mount Pleasant. The earliest hamlet was Greenwich Village (1766), followed by the Hibben Ferry Tract (1770), Mount Pleasant Plantation (1808), Hilliardsville (1847), and Lucasville (1853). The Old Village was bounded by Shem Creek, Simmons Street, Cove Inlet and the Harbor.

Erected in 2002