Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Etiwan Masonic Lodge



Marker ID:  
Location: In front of the Etiwan Masonic Lodge on Royall Ave, Mount Pleasant, SC.
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 47.305    W 079° 52.562
  32.78841666    -79.87603333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

On November 19, 1859, a Warrant of Constitution was planted to Etiwan Lodge No. 95 by the most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Ancient Free Masons of South Carolina. The Lodge organized under the dispensation on February 19 and held their first meeting in town Hall on March 4. The fraternity purchased its current Lodge Hall the same year for $500. The structure was built in 1835 as the original St. Andrews Episcopal chapel. During the Civil War, Lodge meetings were suspended. Mt. Pleasant served as the Berkeley County seat from 1885 to 1895, and some members traveled for two days to attend meetings. In 1913, members contributed funds to help organize a chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star. The Lodge is grown steadily from 67 members in 1908 to 203 members in 1945 and more than 350 in 2009. This marker was erected in honor of the 150th anniversary of the Etiwan Lodge No. 95 A.F.M.

Erected 2009