Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Ronkin's Long Room / Ferry Service



Marker ID:  
Location: on Pitt Street and Ferry St, Mount Pleasant, SC.
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 47.038    W 079° 52.376
  32.78396666    -79.87293333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front):
Ronkin´s Long Room

The crew of the Confederate submarine, H.L. Hunley, commanded by Lt. George Dixon, was temporarily quartered at Ronkin´s Long Room, 205 Ferry Street, in early 1864. The building, previously known as Shell Hall, summer home of Charles Pinckney, was used during the Civil War as an armory and barracks.

(Reverse):
Ferry Service

A ferry service connected Mount Pleasant to Charleston from the wharf at the end of Ferry Street (c. 1847) until the completion of the Cooper River Bridge. Passengers traveled by trolley from Ferry Street east on Pitt Street, across Cove Inlet to Sullivan´s Island and across Breach Inlet to the Isle of Palms resort.

Town of Mount Pleasant.
2003