Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Alhambra Hall



Marker ID:  
Location: On Middle Street, Mount Pleasant, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 46.783    W 079° 52.203
  32.77971666    -79.87005
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

In 1847, Charles Jugnot and Oliver Hillard, owners of Mount Pleasant Ferry Company, developed a picnic ground in a grove of live oaks, called Hort´s Grove. They built the first Alhambra as a summer retreat and dance hall overlooking Charleston Harbor. The present building was constructed in 1937 and is maintained by the town as a multipurpose recreational facility.